Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Station Fire

This fire is the bad dream that won't go away! Last Tuesday the fires started and each day is getting progressively worse! The Station fire started about 15 miles northwest from us and has gotten as close as 10 or so miles to us. We are not under any real threat however, the smoke from these fires has been pretty miserable. We have woken up a couple of mornings with our apartment smokey even with all the windows shut. Combine the smoke with low 100's heat and we are seriously roasting!
Good news is the fire is finally getting under some control but they are saying it will take weeks to really finally have it all out.
So, how have we been surviving? Saturday afternoon we headed for the coast. It was packed but still so nice to get a break. We let Crew ride his bike on the boardwalk which was a total hit! He has been asking me for months when he gets to ride his bike on the bike path at the beach. Matt and I now have to run to keep up with him but it was really fun. Then we cooled down on the beach.
Crew is totally Matt's son. He wants to be in the water the whole time. I just love these shots.
And yes, that is his tan line you can see!

Driving home that evening I wasn't really sure if we were headed towards the sight of an atomic bomb dropping or volcanoes erupting. At least the smoke was white still this day.

After a pretty miserable Sunday, Crew and I decided Monday morning to get out of the yucky air and head down to Maren's in San Diego. Crew was so excited when he woke up and I told him we were going to Carson's. It was a very nice break!

Bike rides, swimming, more toys than imaginable, Crew was in heaven. My poor white boy! We spent the night last night and I am promising from this day forward to never take air conditioning for granted. I didn't have to take a cold shower before bed and I got to have some covers too! Oh it was wonderful!

Another highlight from our quick trip was being able to see the Brutsch's, well, at least most of them. Crew and I stopped in Temecula on our way home this morning and although we missed Ben, it was so great to see Lauren and the kids. Crew and Cason played great and man do we miss having this family around!


Buddy buddy.
It was so fun to spend time with people I love and get away from the smoke and heat. We would have stayed longer but we missed Matt too much! If the smoke isn't improving much tomorrow I think we are all going down to Maren's Thusrday. Man am I grateful she is a close escape!


I also needed to post this picture of us swimming at Buffy's while we were in Az. We loved being able to see our good friends the Hunters and spending time with Buffy, Chloe and Bella!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Those pictures of the fires are so scary!! And the pictures of Crew and Matt at the Beach are great sillouettes (SP). With the shadows it looks like they are both extremely tan! Great to see you with Lauren and her kids!
We love you

Anderson's said...

I can't believe how bad the fires have been. Sunday morning the sky in Las Vegas was smokey from the fires! Good Luck!

Ashley -The Cutest Blog on the Block said...

Okay that fire is freaky! Lauren's little boy is a doll! So is crew. Both of them towheads. Cute! I was watching Glenn Beck about the farming issues in CA. I can't believe they are withholding 90% of the water from the farmers there which is causing starvation! A farmer should not starve! I really think our gov't needs a kick in the bottom! Love ya! Ash

Brett and Diana Cooper said...

Aren't those fires scary? And so stinky. What a great excuse to go visit your sis and her boys. Stay safe and take care! Love ya.